To apply for a Local Sporting Champions grant, you need to submit your application through the Apply Now form.
To complete an application, you will need:
- your personal/contact details;
- details of the championship you are attending;
- details of your school (if relevant) and local sporting club;
- your coach or official accreditation ID (if relevant);
- details for a contact (e.g. coach) within your club/team to confirm your selection;
- contact details of your parent(s)/guardian(s); and
- personal bank account details for you or your parent(s)/guardian(s).
You will also have to write a paragraph or two in response to questions about:
- why this competition is important to you;
- how committed you are to your sport;
- your training schedule and the championships selection process; and
- why you are applying for the grant (can include an estimated cost of attending the championships and personal/family circumstances).
View a sample of the application form to help you get started.
Applications must be made from a desktop computer or laptop computer, as the application form is not compatible with mobile or tablet devices.
You should submit an application:
- once you have been selected to attend the championships and your participation has been confirmed; and
- before the championships commence.
Review the table below to determine the best time to submit an application to ensure you can be notified of the outcome as soon as possible.
Note: applications made for competitions more than six months in advance may be assessed in a later round closer to the competition date.
|Round||Round Opening Date*||Round Closing Date*||Assessment Period||Applicant Notified / Paid|
|Round 4, 2019/20||1 Jan 2020 at 12.00am (AEDT)||31 Mar 2020 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Apr - May 2020||May 2020|
|Round 1, 2020/21||1 Apr 2020 at 12.00am (AEDT)||30 Jun 2020 at 11.59pm (AEST)||Jul - Aug 2020||Aug 2020|
|Round 2, 2020/21||1 Jul 2020 at 12.00am (AEST)||30 Sep 2020 at 11.59pm (AEST)||Oct - Nov 2020||Nov 2020|
|Round 3, 2020/21||1 Oct 2020 at 12.00am (AEST)||31 Dec 2020 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Jan - Feb 2021||Mar 2021|
|Round 4, 2020/21||1 Jan 2021 at 12.00am (AEDT)||31 Mar 2021 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Apr - May 2021||May 2021|
* Applications must be submitted within these dates to be assessed during the associated round.
You can save the application from step 6 using the ‘Save Application Now’ button available at the top of the form.
The form can time-out if you are inactivate within the browser or on a page for too long. Therefore, it is recommended to save the application at each step (from step 6) to ensure you do not lose any information.
When saved, a unique access code and instructions will be sent to your email address.
Saved applications that are not submitted will expire in 28 days from when they are first saved.
Note: All new and saved applications must be completed and submitted prior to the commencement of your nominated championships to be eligible.
To access a saved application, you need to:
- Access the application form.
- Complete the first three steps of the form with the same details (particularly the email address).
- At step 4 select the saved application you wish to access using the radio button available.
- Enter your unique access code in the space provided.
- Click ‘Next’ to access the saved application.
Note: you will need to complete the first three steps of the application to re-access your saved application each time you close the browser.
Having trouble accessing a saved application? Please see our Frequently asked questions for help.
When you submit an application, you will receive an email, which will include a copy of your submitted responses.
It is important that you check the information in the attachment and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately should any information be incorrect
Haven't received a copy of your application? Check your junk email folder. If you still cannot find this please email email@example.com.
Once submitted, you will no longer have access to your online application, however we can make changes to the following for you:
- Contact details (e.g. phone number, email address, street/postal address)
- Spelling mistakes in contact details
- Bank account details
If you require any of the above changes to be made please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: once you have attended the championships, we cannot add information such as results or selection into further representative teams into the application.
Attachments, such as selection letters, cannot be uploaded into the application form or provided with your application to the assessment panel.
Applications are assessed solely on the information submitted in the form.
If successful, you may be requested to provide supporting documentation and receipts as part of an audit. Click here to find out more about an audit.
Note: due to the high volume of emails we receive, we kindly ask that selection letters are not provided to us until requested.
If you are attending multiple eligible championships, it is encouraged to submit an application for each eligible championship.
Applicants are eligible to receive two grants per allocation year, where at least one grant is for an international competition.
Note: This program is highly competitive and currently oversubscribed. As a result, the grant cannot be guaranteed. However, submitting an application for each eligible championship can demonstrate to the assessment panel your dedication to sport and the increased cost incurred to attend each championship.
Have any questions about Local Sporting Champions?
Saturday – Sunday: Closed
*excluding national and ACT public holidays